Sunday, September 27, 2026

Math Art Project: individual response and reflection

I think our presentation went really well!! We got positive comments from our peers, which made me feel really good about the work we created. I also really enjoyed working with Kia and Sarah, and I think we had good synergy throughout the process. Something I would change is being more intentional about what I wanted to say during the presentation, as I forgot to mention some of the ideas I had planned, such as how our topic could serve as an early introduction to linear algebra for Calculus 12 students. I wanted to present without notes, as I normally would, because I thought it'd be good practice. I also found it challenging to take the more advanced mathematics behind the original artwork and adapt it to a secondary school level.

One of my biggest takeaways was how much thought is needed when bringing Indigenous content into a classroom. I had concerns about whether outlining Indigenous artists’ work could be seen as cultural appropriation rather than appreciation, which made me think more carefully about how and why we incorporate Indigenous content. As a future teacher, I think this project showed me the value of using art to make mathematical ideas more visual and engaging, while also reminding me that these activities need to be intentional and appropriate for the students and context. 

No comments:

Post a Comment